Hello friends. I’m moving from Houston to Los Angeles! This is a very exciting time for me, but I can only stand talking about the same topic so many times… I went ahead and compiled a list of questions (who, what, when, where, why) and answers that you might be pondering. If you need to know anything else, just leave a comment or send me a message.
Who do you know in Los Angeles?
Pretty simple: not that many people. I can count them on one hand and they include new coworkers and past classmates from Texas A&M. This will be the most difficult portion of my move as the majority of my family and friends are (and have always been) in Houston.
What are your goals?
I’ll have lots, but the underlying goal will be to thrive in a new environment. Here are some other things I’d like to do while I’m adjusting:
- Cook more and eat healthier in general
- Get into better shape
- Go snowboarding at least a half-dozen times
- Play too much beach volleyball and get decent at surfing
- Wake up by 6 AM on weekdays (coffee allowed)
- Play the California field (hopefully they’ll like my Texas charm)
When are you leaving and will you come back?
I’m leaving early in December but will be back immediately for the holidays. I’ll be gone for at least a year – chances are that I will stay in Cali for a little longer than that. Even in just one week in Los Angeles almost everyone I meet tells me that I won’t ever leave. I seriously doubt that… There’s just too much back home that I know I’ll miss.
Where exactly are you headed?
Hermosa Beach, California – about 30 minutes south-west of Los Angeles. Send me a message if you’re interested in the exact address or if you’d like to visit sometime. I’ll be a few minutes (walking) away from the beach.
Why are you leaving Houston?
A few reasons:
- My employer, Pariveda Solutions, is offering a really excellent relocation package for experienced folks to head to some of their in-need offices. I should clarify that the office is in need of resource – we have work but need more people to get it done. This will also be a great chance for me to help establish the Pariveda culture in a new office.
- The timing seems perfect… I’ve been renting in Houston for ease and flexibility, I’m single, and I’m at a good age to do some travel in my life. It’s almost like a quarter-life crisis. But instead of crisis I’ve got opportunity.
- I’ve never done anything like this, and it seems like a fun way to challenge myself. When I was evaluating whether or not to take advantage of the opportunity I found myself coming up with very few reasons to not move to California.
Wish me luck! I’ll keep my blog up to date with my adventures in SoCal.